Monday, July 10, 2006

Taking a break

It's time to take a break from the game...we'll call it our 7th inning stretch. Here are some of the finer quotes ever made by the 26 time world championship players. Yes indeed, they're ballplayers, not Rhodes Scholars, and the Yankees seem to have cornered the market on imbeciles as well as trophies:

"It was hot out there today. Must have been 100 miles per hour". Mickey Rivers

"Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical". Yogi Berra

"Good pitching always beats good hitting, and vice versa". Casey Stengal

"If you can't imitate him, don't copy him." Yogi again

"The Babe is one fellow, and I'm another and I could never be exactly like him. I don't try, I just go on as I am in my own right." Lou Gehrig


And some by a Red Sox pitcher named Bill (The spaceman Lee):

"The more self-centered and egotistical a guy is, the better ballplayer he's going to be. You take a team with twenty-five assholes and I'll show you a pennant. I'll show you the New York Yankees."

"The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the '60s I tested everything."

"I think about the cosmic snowball theory. A few million years from now the sun will burn out and lose its gravitational pull. The earth will turn into a giant snowball and be hurled through space. When that happens it won't matter if I get this guy out."

And finally, my favorite writer, Dave Barry of Miami:

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant’s life, she will choose to save the infant’s life without even considering if there are men on base."

No comments: