Monday, October 15, 2007

Those were the days, weren't they?

We've all heard it and said it. But is it really true?

Was it really better back then? Horses for transportation, oil lanterns, no radio, no TV, no phones, no lights, no motor cars? And yes, no text messaging...brb, ttyl, lol, rofl, cya....WTF?

Too far back you say? Ok then, where shall we go? 1942. Several madmen around the world were attempting to make it their own permanent house of horrors. 450,000 American men died. Radio, cars, but not much else. Flying across the country? Nope...not yet.

How about 1952? Ten years closer to now. Better? Still no TV. American Airlines first domestic flight was 7 years away. Telephones? Yes, but only 17% of the population had them in their homes.

What good old days? 1968? Do we really have to cover Vietnam, LSD, and Detroit and LA on fire? I didn't think so.

Today...right now...technology is shining in its brightest light ever. SAT scores are inching upward. High School drop-out rates are at their all-time lowest. The middle class median income and standard of living are incredibly high. Children are smarter. We're living longer. Sure we have problems as well, but not problems like 10,000 men dying on a French beach in 1 hour. That's a problem. It's not October 1929, and the market has not crashed...forcing people to jump off roof's, live in crates, and stand in a soup line to eat. That's a problem.

A professor at the University of Illinois (Champagne) did a study some years ago. In the dead of winter, he sent 12 people on vacation to Florida for a week. Each day - twice a day - he called each of them and asked them how happy they felt. After their return, he once again asked each of them privately how happy they felt.

The result?

In 11 of the 12 queried, they were happier being back home - cold, nasty weather and all - than they thought they were when they were in Florida. They were back in familiar surroundings, familiar friends, family, work, etc. Not exactly scientific proof of course, but certainly enough circumstantial evidence to suggest most people are happier in the moment then they were previously.

I have a granddaughter that walks and is starting to talk. My parents are both here and able to be great grandparents. I have two wonderful boys who are great students and damn good athletes. I get to see all of their games...and sometimes the granddaughter is at the games too. I can watch the Red Sox every night due to the miracle of Digital Television. My car tells me the temperature outside, and some man or woman will unlock it for me from 3,000 miles away if I'm brain dead enough to leave my keys in it. I've survived umpteen strokes or stroke events...and I want those times back? Nuh uh.

The good old days. The good old days are just that....old. They have their place in an area of my brain called memories. Memories are to be thought about, cherished, and can and should be used to warm the heart and the soul. In my world, that is what I use memories for.

Memories are not a place to live, though. That place is right here...right now.

Peace

No comments: