Friday, January 05, 2007

Would you?

Throughout our lives, we have either said, heard someone else say, or the combination of both:

"If I had it to do over again, I would..."

Would you? Consider this if you will. I believe the universe is somehow all tied together. I can't really say how, but I'm sure Carl Sagan or someone like him can explain it to you. I just believe that's the way it is. Call it an act of faith on my part.

So the question remains: Would you? Why would you?

To assuage a past heartache or disappointment? Perhaps an unexpected death occurred and ripped your world apart. Money problems? You go back and take a different path, and all will be better...right? Perhaps...unless my belief about the universe is correct.

I have faith that everything does happen for a reason, to include the death of children, poverty, and ignorance. However, not all things that happen for a reason are negative, even though that is predominantly the way we apply the phrase. If you succeed in business, athletics, music, parenting, or whatever it is you aspire to do, the successes are because of hard work, passion, dedication, and in some small way - good luck. I must tell you though, the more you work at something, the better your luck becomes.

In any event, there is nothing I would do over again and change - to include the fact that I've had 3 major strokes, as devastating to my life expectancy as they have been.

Perhaps I would consider going back to 1990 when PETA put a stop to diabetes testing at Stanford University Medical Center and tell them they were doing the human race - and my teenage son - a great disservice. In March of 2005, he was diagnosed with Type I diabetes. 100% insulin dependent, and it carries a life sentence. But I would only consider it, not actually do it.

Other than that, I'll take every disappointment and success that came my way, because positive or negative, they were earned with honor and integrity...two characteristics that have no equal.

2 comments:

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Amen...

leelee said...

I have to say, I truly believe that each and every event in my life has happened for a reason, some I understand, some I don't but have faith. These are the events of my life, the good, the bad and the ugly, I wouldn't change a thing. I do try to always learn from the unfortunate events and find glory and be grateful for the fortunate ones. And most of all I seek peace in knowing that it's all part of me.

How philosophical! Thank you for your reflections.