Monday, March 02, 2009

Crossroads

How much does one have to extend ones self to show that they care?

And if caring means having to hurt one who does not try in order to accommodate one who does, is that misplaced caring, or misguided loyalty?

I am in a predicament. I have to downsize my staff by two in order to keep business as usual for the other 12. I have to make my choice out of a field of 6 and pick four. My problem is, one of the six is a 10 inch thorn in my backside, but she is liked and subsequently fought for by at least one -and maybe a second - of the four that are definitely going to stay. I want to listen to the views of all I want to keep, and make those views and opinions count, but if I were to give in to the two that want me to keep my 10 inch thorn, I would have to give up a damn good person to do so. Why in hell would I trade away a 10 and keep a 1? Because of a loyalty to the 1 by two of the best workers I have?

Do I give up a 10 and absorb the pain of a 1 just to keep the two happy? This is my dilemma.

I want to dump the 1, keep the 10, and hope that the two quality people I have don't turn on me because I dropped their friend. I am trying to do this with all persons and situations in mind, but the fact that the 1 will more than likely always be a 1 leads me to the obvious:

Keep the 10...drop the 1. And hope the two I value and respect can do the same for me.

Crossroads...

3 comments:

leelee said...

I think you answered your own question:

"Keep the 10...drop the 1. And hope the two I value and respect can do the same for me."

You have to make the call that is best for the overall situation. thats my opinion..

Karen said...

That's hard...and also why I NEVER accepted a management position!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion you should be fair and see the value in each employee for what it's worth. there are many determining factors in this situation which you should consider in order to make the right decision. Don't base it on personal aspect, rather a professional. Are they both quealified and perfoming at the same level? Do they both contribute to that bottom line equally, and also be fair in your decision because ultametly if you choose wrong not taking into account both situations, that will be your downfall. Perhaps one is more dedicated than the other and knows where his/her priorities are set. It's hard to make that decision considering the economy and all those who have lost their sole income as a result of downsizing. Goodluck, and ask God for guidance if you are a believer. By the way, the two other employees concerned really should not influence your decision regardless of your desire to keep the peace. You'll have to answer to the BIG GUY not they.