Saturday, February 04, 2006

Thingy's and shingspoof adapters

This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and I'll go to my grave knowing so.

Many years ago, in a galaxy far far away, I was coming out of a convenience store near Savannah, GA. I saw a woman who worked in the same company I did, and she was kneeling down peering at the undercarriage of her brand new canary-yellow Chevy Cavalier. I said hi to her and and asked if she needed any help. She explained this was the first automobile she had ever owned, and she was concerned about the puddle of water forming under the center of the engine.

It was mid-summer. In Georgia.

I asked her if she had been running the air conditioner in the car, and of course she said "yes". I then went on to explain how it was the result of condensation and the normal overflow that all car air conditioners have. She looked at me quite baffled. "You don't know a heck of a lot about your car do you?", I asked. She said she felt bad that she didn't.

I let her know that I too found myself in that position many times in the past, and I said to her, "really fast - cuz I gotta go - here's how it works:"

"You know when you're sitting in your car, the air on full blast, and you feel the delightful coolness wafting over you? Well, the truth of the matter is due to a reverse physics phenomena who's official name escapes me at the moment, the air isn't really blowing out at you"

She kind of looked at me with her head cocked to one side, much like a dog when you make a strange noise with your mouth. It's a combination inquisitive look mixed in with a good helping of confusion.

"So here is the deal. Inside the engine compartment is a thing called a compressor. This device creates the needed force of air that causes this phenomenon to occur. What you think is the cold air coming out at you is actually the compressor working at full capacity sucking the warm air out of the cab of the car and into the engine compartment, but doing so at such a high rate of speed it sends the cold air towards you, when in fact - the warm air is rushing past you at such incredible velocity it creates the illusion of cold air coming out. That warm air is turned into water by the compressor, and released underneath the engine compartment. In any case, it works...so who cares how, right?"

With a twinkle in her eye, she thanked me and told me she had to get going. I said "see ya later", and off we both went our separate ways. I've often wondered how many times she tried explaining that one to other people while they were quietly thinking to themselves, "This woman needs a CAT scan".

In any event, I'm sure she's figured it out by now. If you're out there, please don't hate me. I was just having a little fun.

1 comment:

leelee said...

you're bad...I do hope the poor thing has figure it out by now...wouldn't you think she would notice her hair blowing AWAY from her face???

~leelee~