Wednesday, August 23, 2006

It be like dat

Last night I went to parents night at school. My son's teacher stood up in front of the assembled parents and covered the math portion. She spoke for about 2 minutes. In that 2 minutes, she used the word "maFF" instead of "maTH" every single time, which was over 20 at least. She also said "Bofe" instead of "both", and twice she said "we give the students pacific tasks to do".

Twice.

Look, I have no problem with anyone in the general population speaking the way they want to. Rednecks say "tahr" instead of "tire", people from New England can't pronounce the letter "r", and Ebonics is a language unto itself. I understand this and have no problem with it....except...

...when it comes to teachers. This woman went to school and secured her degree, passed her teacher certification, and is presumably capable and efficient. And now she's in charge of impressionable youth, and it pisses me off that she can't let go of her culture when she's in the school house. Does she know the word is "specific" and the proper way to pronounce words that end in a "th" sound? Yes, she damn sure does.

Thing is, I'm powerless to do anything about it. I complain and my face will be on the front page of the local newspapers tomorrow morning, under the headline:

RACIST DAD WANTS SON MOVED OUT OF CLASSROOM.

Please ...tell me I'm way off base here and I'll drop it. It's not racism, it's a matter of principle. We have a language, and the use of that language within the confines of our educational institutions should be mandatory for those charged with teaching our youth.

Pacifically mandated, to be exact.

No comments: