Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How dumb can we get? The U.S. versus....the U.S.???

A question was posed recently on local access T.V. to the President of the County School Board.

Why can't we teach and demand from our students to stand quietly for the National Anthem or anything patriotic in the classroom?

The answer by the School Board Prez was short and direct: "Because if we do mandate such behavior, someone will be in my office within 24 hours with their attorney."

Now, not that I doubt the validity of the answer - because I know it's true - I 'm still confused. The right to freedom of speech, freedom of movement, freedom of the press, freedom to do damn near whatever you want is granted by our Government in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution.

Sooooo - bear with me here - the very foundation that these freedom's are based upon is used by American's against those same foundations. Do I have this correct? The right to disobey or dishonor is guaranteed, and we American's don't have to give anything in return, and if someone asks you to give a little back, you use the same documents to defend why you don't have to do what is asked? Yes, I do think I have this correct.

And I'm always hearing that the politicians are corrupt and screwed up, and we the people are the only ones trying to do the right thing?

Been to a ballgame lately? How about a school?

2 comments:

leelee said...

Once again...the best (or worse) lessons are learned at home..if a parent insists that Johnny have some manners and show respect...then Johnny (or Susie) will. I attend a good number of baseball games each season..and I would say 99% of the folks are respectful...I do think that some don't KNOW though that the hat should be removed during the anthem or they are just too lazy to do it..or simply don't care..

At the risk of sounding like a Pollyanna however...I believe that people are inherently good and proud to be American...of course there are always some who simply MUST swim against the tide..and there are always lawyers who assist them in their upstream swim...

Teach Your Children!!

Rebelbelle said...

At this rate we'll be singing
Allah's National Anthem in just a few years...
And the choice will be "sing" or "eat this bullet".

I'll be full of lead.