Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The important sh**

So what is it with you? And me, for that matter. How often do we prioritize, and then act upon those priorities? Not the easy shit...I have to go to the store, drop off some stuff at the dry-cleaners, etc. I'm speaking of the hard stuff. The stuff we give lip service to, then claim we "forgot" or just "got too busy".

Must have been that last trip to Wendy's that screwed us up.

Did you say "happy fathers day" to your dad, or remember him in a kind way if he's already left us? How about the kids? When was the last time you were so mad at them you wanted to throttle their existence, but instead took 10 deep breaths and let it go? I know it's been a while since I have.

Held a door for someone lately? I did so for an elderly person the other day, and he said to me, "Thank you for being so thoughtful." I said he was welcome, of course, then walked away thinking the reason he was so appreciative is because it probably doesn't happen as often as it should - which when you think about it - "should" equates to "every" time.

The other night I shut off the tv, put away the MP3 player, and walked the dog. In silence. The only sound being him sniffing the grass. I sat down on a curb, and was amazed how he came over and sat right down tight with me. The loyalty of a good dog is so far beyond the loyalty of one human to another, it's damn frightening. In any event, I sat there and listened to the silence. And enjoyed the hell out of it. Man oh man, silence is wonderful sometimes.

My back hurts every day. The Army gives me a 10% disability because of years of pounding on my spinal chord and back muscles has left me in perpetual pain. My left heel hurts so badly each morning I can't walk for 2 minutes. I have some sort of pain shooting from my armpit down my arm to my elbow now and then, making it hard to raise my limb above my head. But you know what? It's ok. If I didn't have the pain, I would be dead, so the alternative is acceptable. And I'm not hungry.

Or poor.

When was the last time you did something unannounced for a friend or loved one, just to cheer them up? Think it's not that big a deal? Think again. I used to be a "Big Picture" guy, and I was wrong.

Life is details.

Millions and millions of details spread over the better part of a century if you're one of the lucky ones. Miss a detail, and someone is disappointed in you.

Do you worry about that? Someone being disappointed in you? 95% of you will say "yes", but I know some of you are lying. Some of you don't care, and are kidding yourself into thinking you're not in that 5% that at least is honest about it.

I guess what I'm saying is, isn't it high time for a gesture that needs no return? Be kind today. Lower your head and privately thank a soldier, a cop, a firefighter, or a nurse for what they do. Say "hi" as you pass someone in the mall, and make eye-contact while you do it. Throw some loose change in the homeless guy's basket, and stop fretting about what he spends it on. If I was homeless, I'd be getting as bombed on Boone's Farm as I could every day too. Somebody cuts you off on the road, let it go. You see someone with 13 eyebrow piercings and a green mohawk, don't be judgemental. You hear someone saying something stupid on TV, shut the damn thing off.

And enjoy the silence.

Peace.

6 comments:

leelee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mayden' s Voyage said...

Preach on-

and I'll be quiet~

Law Girl said...

Bingo.

Jennifer McGee said...

I hope that I am teaching all of this to my children. I don't want them rushing around this world and missing all of the wonderful things that are here!

Scary Monster said...

Me don't always agree with what you say and sometimes feel like you can be a little too severe in yer opinions and Me be pretty certain that you could care less. But there are times when you hit the nail on the head so rightously that me be certain the sound of yer words be echoing throughout the ether.

This be one of them times.

It ain't all that difficult to treat others with respect and appreciation instead of rancor and sefishness.
Easy to realize the worth of things when ya don't have them anymore. The challenge be in seeing their worth while you still have the chance to enjoy them.

Enjoy the silence.

step.

JL4 said...

Yes, scary monster...so I've been told...on both accounts.

Too "forceful"
Too "preachy"
Too "harsh"

And ocasionally, "spot-on"

At all times, I am me though. And there is a lot to be said for that.