Saturday, July 21, 2007

Avaritia

As defined by Dante Aleghieri in his book, The Divine Comedy, there are seven deadly sins, the third of which is Avaritia - or greed - as it it most commonly called. All seven vices can cause immense problems, but greed seems to be the one that takes the most time and effort to expand upon until those around you are thoroughly convinced you have indeed committed the sin.

It is at that moment - when you have been outed for your greed - that you fully understand the deed is done, and you cannot go back and cover it up. It is that lack of spontaneity that makes avaritia so lethal.

...Or deadly, if you will.






Barry Bonds







Kenneth Lay







Michael Vick






Martha Stewart





I'm thinking I'll pop down upon my bark-o-lounger and watch a ballgame. The extent that sloth will get me into trouble is the lawn won't get mowed for a few more hours. I can live with that.

1 comment:

leelee said...

Call ME sinner then, for I can think of nothng more delightful then reclining in my baraclounger (note correct spelling) on a Saturday afternoon. Oh look Brad Penny is pitching for the Dodgers against the Mets. I miss Brad.