Monday, July 23, 2007

Why Jhony can't speel

Today I read another article in a never-ending litany of articles about how our school systems are failing our children.

While driving less than 14 total miles today, I casually counted so many adults driving without seat belts on, that I can honestly attest to the fact that about 3 out of 10 cars had one of more adults belt-less. And I wasn't really looking that hard. About 1:30 pm, I saw two 20-25 year old young adults swigging one of those large beer bottles out of a brown bag while executing a turn where they passed me and I could clearly see the bottle. I went into a drug store to buy a coke and stood in line for 10 minutes as the clerk handled a language barrier problem relating to the photo department. The clerk spoke English, the customer did not. I listened to a local sports talk radio show where a caller said the following (and I'm trying my best to replicate his dialect and grammar...."they ain't no difference tween Michael Vick anst some other of they folks who be killin' cows an stuff fo food. I ain't not seein no difference at all wif deez two things."

I live in Greater Orlando, a city and related suburbs whose population with all surrounding towns included is less than 400,000. Yet last year we had just under 100 murders.

Oooops, was I not supposed to tell anyone that fact? Too late. Sorry Disney.

The city's murder rate has more than tripled in the past three years. Other violent crimes have spiked as well. Orlando posted the third-biggest jump in rapes and robberies among the state's 10 largest cities and had the largest increase in arson's, according to the report. The number of registered sex offenders in greater Orlando is in excess of 3,400. The key word being registered. The other creeps just haven't been caught yet. The downtown Orlando area and some of the lower income suburbs have alarming single-parent household figures, with studies showing nearly 20% of the homes existing with 1 parent and 1 income to support that family. Youth crime statistics - depending upon which statistic you want to acknowledge as the most accurate - have youth misdemeanor and felonious crime rising nearly 200% since the year 2000.

Now, back to the school system not doing their job to educate our youth. Who isn't doing their job?

I got news for ya, slick. It ain't the school system that's failing.

1 comment:

Mayden' s Voyage said...

AMEN!!!
PARENTS...take a look,
It's terrifying what you'll see-