Thursday, January 03, 2008

Gorgeous, isn't it?





This is where I was born and raised for the first 19 years of my life, and you know what? For some reason it never seemed cold. Silent, for sure. There is a nearly deafening silence to a snow covered landscape away from the bustle of major metropolia. I can remember as if it were yesterday, the countless times I was alone out in some wooded area in the dead of winter, just walking around and soaking it all up. The silence is always what struck me the most. No birds chirping; no flies; no bees. Just me and some very tall spruce pines.

And my thoughts. Always my thoughts.

A person can get alone with their thoughts out here, and come back the next day after a fresh snowfall, and all traces of anyone being there the previous day erased by the new blanket of whiteness.

It's sort of like a fresh start; a new opportunity to rethink what you pondered the day before, and give it new life and perspective.

Hmmmm. New life and an original perspective. I think America could use a good snowstorm. And that's all of America, by the way - not just political America.














Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far
behind me
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll
find me

8 comments:

leelee said...

oh my....magical actually. I don't think I would mind living through winter if it looked like that all the time..oh and having a condo in South Florida to warm my bones every few weeks..:-)

Really pretty...looks like a Norman Rockwell ;-)

JL4 said...

That's because Norman Rockwell lived there. It's the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, and it still looks the same today as it did 50 years ago.

leelee said...

Yes he did....there is a museum there...right?

JL4 said...

In Stockbridge...famous for "Alice's restaurant" which is the name of the song, and that's why I call the song "Alice's a-restaurant".

"Now it all started on three years ago, it was on three years ago on Thanksgivin..."

"I wanna tell ya about the town of Stockbridge Massachussets where this a-happened here...they got 2 stop signs, 3 police officers, and 1 po-lice car...but when this a-happened here..."

leelee said...

"But Alice doesn't live in the restaurant, she lives in the church nearby the restaurant, in the bell tower with her husband Ray and Facha, the dog.

And livin' in the bell tower like that, they got a lot of room downstairs where the pews used to be, and havin' all that room (seein' as how they took out all the pews), they decided that they didn't have to take out their garbage for a long time.

We got up here and found all the garbage in there and we decided that it'd be a friendly gesture for us to take the garbage down to the city dump."

I think you pretty much know how teh story goes...

JL4 said...

And the sergeant came over...

had some paper in his hands...

Held it up and said..

Kids...thispieceofpapersgot47sentences58wordswewannaknowthedetailsaboutthecrimetimeofthecrimearrestingofficersnameandanyotherdetailsyoucanprovideaboutthecrime..

and he talked for 45 minutes and nobody undestood a word that he said...

but we had fun on the Group W bench there, fillin out the forms and playin with the pencils...

leelee said...

out of order but still, my favorite part:

And I, I walked over to the, to the bench there, and there is, Group W's
where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after
committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly
looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father
rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me! And
they was mean and nasty and ugly and horrible crime-type guys sitting on the
bench next to me.

leelee said...

He said, "What were you arrested for, kid?"
And I said, "Littering." And they all moved away from me on the bench
there, and the hairy eyeball and all kinds of mean nasty things, till I
said, "And creating a nuisance." And they all came back, shook my hand,
and we had a great time on the bench, talkin about crime, mother stabbing,
father raping, all kinds of groovy things that we was talking about on the
bench. And everything was fine, we was smoking cigarettes and all kinds of
things, until the Sargeant came over, had some paper in his hand, held it
up and said.......kids.........