Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Things that go creeping off in the night.

Are you a computer person? Do you know every in and out of our mega-technical world, so much so that you can be sitting in Tacoma,Washington right now, yet you know exactly which keystroke I am going to make next, because you have the newest in spyware, or spying wear, or whatever on your computer?

Is that you?

If so, you're a stalker, plain and simple. "Not I", you say. "I don't follow people home late at night running bizzare fantasy's through my head as I do so", you say. But you do follow them home. Right smack into their homes, as a matter of fact. You choose to do it electronically.

Do you type the screen names of other bloggers in an attempt to find out who they really are and maybe even what they look like? Again, you're a stalker. You're teetering right on the edge of violating privacy laws and constitutional rights, and many times you don't even realize how wrong you are.

As an experiment this morning, I googled "JL4". It came up listing a couple of my blogs, a company that makes catheters, and a lot of stuff about a Christian Rock band. Anyone in my non-cyber world knows I'm not a member of any Christian rock band. I cuss too much.

So there is nothing overtly obvious about my assumed title of JL4; at least not in a way that would dictate to you or anyone else who I am and where I live. I will tell all for the first time what it means. It is the first and last initials of my 3 children and my wife, hence: J-L-4. You can try and google all you want, and you won't find anything on me. I'm not famous, infamous, nor am I notorious.

Buuuuuuut....

If you own a device or some software that can somehow latch onto my blog and inform you of which type, color, and size undergarments I have on? You will be notorious someday.
Yesterday I read a comment on a blog which said, "Anyone's information can be found out on the net", directly implying that the commentor had information on the blog owner, derived by snooping around.

That's creepy. That's holy-shit-how-can-I-protect-my-kids-from-the-creepy-blogger-guy-or-girl-? kinda creepy. If you're out there, and this is what you do...cyber sneak around to find out who is who and where they live? Seek professional medical attention, immediately. If you have sought such counselling, and you're still caught up in this, perhaps you should remove yourself from the computer world altogether. You are a threat to yourself and our society. What you do is not amusing; it's not considered a guarranteed act of freedom of choice; and it is not harmless. It's creepy. And that - by default - makes you a creep.

P.S. This post is nothing but a general observation, and was not inspired by any actual event, other than the aforementioned comment to a post that I read. I have no idea if anyone has ever spied on me. I only know I have never done something like that to anyone else. Like I said, It's Creepy, and I'm not a creep.

Are you?

7 comments:

Trouble said...

That shit scares the bejeezus out of me. SERIOUSLY.

JL4 said...

Yes ma'am....me too

leelee said...

there are all kinds of cyber stalkers out there. But then again you could be stalked by your neighbor or an acquaintance at your kids ball game. I think the people you meet in real life can be more threatening, they know where you live and who your kids are.

It's seriously creepy.

-Cora said...

Is it creepy that I looked up my old boyfriend one time in the PHONE BOOK to see if he was still in my city?

Google is not creepy, but spyware is. My brother in law used it against my sister...and
they are no longer married.
I'd jump ship too if I thought it was being used on me.

On the other hand, there are people who won't even have their names listed in the phone book for privacy reasons, which I find a tad odd- but I'm not very important either.

The best way to keep safe is to keep the info you put out on the web to a minimum. I've tried to keep my last name private (because there's only one in the US with my name) and to my dismay- found it linked to my blog through another blogger who was giving me credit for something. That bothered me a little. Once a person has my last name, all my other info is public. It was also tied to a newsletter I created for my church- which has now been taken down.

So far, so good...
except for that guy who keeps calling me from the Oklahoma Prison- I have no idea how he found me...

kidding- but it is possible, and that is creepy.

JL4 said...

ohhhh...that's you?

You're Cora Booogenhackenhakenkleinschmitdt?

-Cora said...

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!

My phone is going to ring off the hook now!

:)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?.