Monday, August 06, 2007

When it was simple

Was there anything more empowering than riding a bicycle when you were a kid? Originally, I had a no-speed bike, then as time wore on I had the miracle of 3-speeds. A 10-speed cycle had yet to be invented, so if I wanted a 5th or 6th gear, I pedaled faster.




My first love was a bike my dad sprung for and put together himself. It looked almost exactly like the one pictured. He bought the frame, a banana seat (you had to have a banana seat or you weren't cool), and the high handle bars (step #2 on the "cool scale"). Compared to today's sleek, ultra-lightweight, high tech bicycles, it was a piece of shiite. But I'll still take that bike over anything they offer today.








Back then, comedies were based upon real people in real-life situations. They simply made them funnier and occasionally added something serious to bring further reality to the shows. Barney Miller was about the 12th Precinct in NYC. WKRP in Cincinnati was about a radio station trying to survive during the initial days of FM. Incredibly funny, WKRP represented the times and the social upheaval in America, taking on such topics as censorship, the religious right, the dangers of spectacle seating at rock concerts, and of course - the little known fact that Turkey's cannot fly. We also had a show called "All in the family" and another called M*A*S*H. Not ringing a bell, eh? I turn on the TV now, and I see yuppies drinking coffee and I can't relate. Gimme back my MTM (If you don't know who MTM is, you won't get this post anyways).
I remember watching TV in my parents room in April 1974, and watching LA Dodgers Pitcher Al Downing (the greatest living sports trivia question of all time, by the way) - throw a curve ball to Henry Aaron for his 715th home run. Now I get to watch a test tube swing a syringe in hopes of hitting his 756th through a night haze caused by thick innuendo anda blanket of insincere statements. Hardly anyone will cheer, and that is even worse.
What happened to my baseball? Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?

There was a bad guy back then, called the USSR. We were the good guys, by the way. The world was safer you know, even if at the time we thought the opposite. They took care of their half their way, we in turn took care of our half our way. All the idiots were scared of both of us, and therefore stayed beneath their rocks.

We now live in an age where our kids had better not go too far when they're out playing, and free-wheeling around on their bikes is a 2007 form of Russian Roulette. We now live in a world where you can see your nice, quiet, friendly neighbor on-line at the county child predator page. Instead of allowing someone to cut in front of you on the highway, you chose to cut him or her off with a dramatic single-finger salute and a burst of cuss words. He in turn pulls out a pistol and shoots you at the next interchange. Music was at one time all about love, lost love, found love, reclaimed love, forlorn love, and lack of love. It is now about "slappin' yo beaaatch ma-fuckin' ho", which I can only imagine has nothing to do with the love I'm familiar with.
Back then a man married a woman and they stayed together like my parents have for 50 + years. Now they don't even care about marriage unless they're gay and want to make a political or financial statement.
In short...today's music sucks, the comedies on TV suck, driving sucks, people look upon marriage as old-fashioned bufoonery, my kids can't go more than 15 feet from my yard because the single dude who walks his 4 dogs wearing shorts, black socks, and sandals, really is the creepazoid he portrays himself to be....
And - worst of all - Nick at nite stopped showing Gilligan's Island...
So...how's your day going?

9 comments:

leelee said...

So much here sparks memories for me..I can relate to ALL of it...my first REAL bike of my own (the others were learners that had been handed down) was on my 11th birthday (omg 1969)..it was a
Schwinn Breeze

3 speed..It was red...it had hand breaks, a bell and a light that ran on the power of the wheel turning. My Dad bought it at the local Bicycle Shop and even had my name stenciled on it. It was beautiful and I rode that bike until my friends started driving cars (17 at that time in NJ) I had great legs back then cause my bike was my main mode of transportation..Mom almost never drove me anywhere..if you wanted to go ,you walked or rode your bike..or you didn't go...sorry! We took it on vacation, it went everywhere..I loved that bike..thanks for reminding me of it.

Now..thankfully I have a new earworm:

Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all


How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all

Thanks for the memories.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

I continue to love riding my bike~ it's still empowering for me.
When I was 17 I used to stay up late so I could watch the 11:30 re-runs of M.A.S.H.- it was one of my favorite shows...one day I asked my mom if she knew about it- she looked as if I had said something almost profane. "What do you mean? I loved that show!"
Go figure :)

leelee said...

Cora..please don't tell me I'm old enough to be your Mom...say it ain't so...dear god!! ;-)

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Leelee- Mom was born in 1950 :)
But you are 39 and holding, right? :)

leelee said...

OK...my husband is ONE YEAR OLDER than your Mom...that's too much. I am eight years YOUNGER than your Mom...my stepdaughter (The one in NC with the 6 children) is 36. But I am more a friend to her than a Mom..so..we can still be friends..right? Just, Please don't call me Ma'am. 39 and holding, yeah, that's right :-)

Sorry JL4 we have taken over your comments..

Sean said...

so. i remember being embarrassed by the bike with the banana seat. we moved to savannah and instead of riding the bus to school, i was now able to ride the bike, but didn't want to be seen on it. greatest christmas ever when i got the bmx.

i just bought season one of wkrp on dvd. still funny as hell, but it's sad because they took out the original music. problems with royalties. whether they left it in or took it out, the artists still aren't getting anything, the only ones getting screwed are the fans.

Scary Monster said...

Did ya take one of yer mom's clothes pins so you could attach an unwanted basball card to to the fork to give the bike that cool motorcycle sound too?

JL4 said...

Arthur Carlson;

"As God as my witness, I thought Turkey's could fly.

leelee said...

a classic thanksgiving episode. what a give-away !! lol