Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Of heroism and such things

There is a young man who used to Blog from deep in Iraq who has now thankfully been returned to all of us safely. He is a proud and brave American who goes by the name Sean. He wrote an interesting piece that I read last night http://macme.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-little-act-of-pettiness.html, and it inspired me to write this.

A few years ago, one of my kids was talking about me being in the Army for a career, and he asked me if I had "won" any medals. I got to thinking about that, and whether the word "won" or "earned" was the correct way of phrasing it. In any case, I settled on earned. I mean, think about it. If you "win" the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for Valor, but you no longer have a right leg, what is it you supposedly "won"? Fortunately for me, I have all my limbs.

Funny thing is this: When asked by my son to show him my medals - for which there are many, actually - I couldn't produce. I know they are somewhere in the back of a closet, strewn about in no particular manner or organization, but I couldn't locate any more than about 30% of them. This caused me to think about why that is, and then last night I read Sean's writing's, and the answer came to me.

Men and women who have served the Armed Forces faithfully do so because of a commitment of their soul. If the only passion you've ever had in your life is to get home as fast as possible on Tuesday's so you can watch "Survivor Part 44", then you won't know of which I speak. But if your passion has run a course that took you to the farthest reaches of human endeavor - laying it on the line for a principle - then you will certainly understand. Those who have done - and those who will do in the future - understand. We don't aspire to win or earn anything. Medals and decorations are a by-product of loyalty, commitment, and kinship, and therefore have more of a place in our individual memories than a coffee table book or a shelf in a room.

For now Sean, accept your honor with the grace and dignity that it deserves, and find your own place in the corner of a closet, whether that be physical or metaphorical, and know that what you have done is very special and appreciated by those with the capacity to truly understand.

Peace.

2 comments:

Sean said...

i saw this this morning, and i've been trying to figure out what i want to say all day. i'm no where near as eloquent as you, so i'll leave it at thank you for reading, thank you for getting it and for writing this. sometimes it's more than a little nice to know that you're not a three headed freak, but that other people have been there and done that before you, and know exactly where you're coming from. and thanks for your dedication and service.

JL4 said...

Naaahhh Sean. Thank you.