Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Fire

Remember when Billy Joel wrote that song called "We didn't start the fire" something like 10 years ago? Evidently he remembered each of the hundreds of events listed rapidly in his song from memory, complete with chronological correctness. I was impressed and still am actually. Here is my version of that:

I remember.....

Penny Candy. Red Hot dollars that were 2 for a penny, along with dozens of other goodies. They were all kept in a glass box on top of the counter in a store long-since gone at the end of the street my parents lived on for 50 years.

The smell of my glove. If you played baseball as a kid - with any passion whatsoever - then you certainly remember standing in the field and placing that glove over your face to suck in the aroma of the leather. If you don't remember, didn't do this, or think I'm crazy - you never shared the same passion. You were just going through the motions.

Banana Seats and High Handle bars. You couldn't have just a bike 40 years ago, no siree mister! It had to be a bike with a leopard skin banana seat and high handle bars. Who needed 10-speeds back then? Not I. Slower? I slowed down. Faster? I peddled harder.

Steel Automobiles. Lots of chrome all shiny and reflecting the sunlight. If you see a well maintained American Rambler or Thunderbird driving down the road today, don't you stop and reflect on a different time and culture? You're damn skippy you do.

Parades and Drum & Bugle Corps Competitions. The 4th of July was always so cool when I grew up. One of the biggest parades anywhere was held, with band after band after band marching by. Floats, fire engines with their powerful horns blaring, funny cars filled with clowns throwing candy to the kids. Afterwards, all the bands would go to the local minor league baseball stadium and have a competition that lasted all day and into the night. Topped off with a modest but really nice fireworks display.

"Look" Magazine. "Life" magazine's more photography-oriented sister. I miss it.

Peace signs. There was a time where they were everywhere. It was pretty much the mantra for harmless hippies and college kids. For some reason when you see one now, it doesn't have the same effect. Some things are meant for certain times and places. A Cindy Sheehan rally is about 35 years removed from that time and place, and it makes me feel uncomfortable when I see one on TV. Kind of like when I see a 50+ year old man with a long pony tail and 5 earrings. Dude...get a haircut.

The Green Monster. The first time I entered Fenway Park to see a Red Sox game in person, I was awestruck at the green everywhere...but in particular, the 35 ft tall left field wall, which to a 7 year old looked at least 250 feet high.

My parents house. When you're a little boy, everything looks so big. Later in life after being away in the service for a lifetime with only the occasional stop-over, you see how small houses were that were built 85 years ago. Still a wonderful place, that house. Lot's of warmth and friendly memories there.

The woods in back. We used to ski in these woods, rode sleds through these woods, found the occasional Revolutionary War artifact in these woods, and played a lot of cowboys and indians in these woods. They're still there, unfortunately I'm here. By the way the skis and the poles were made of wood, and the ski boots were tied not strapped.

The McDonald's Arch sign. I remember when the sign said "Over half a million sold", and it took years to reach a million. I saw something the other night that said they sold 46 Billion last year alone.

Rotary Phones that actually "rang". A Gallon of Gas was 50 cents. Movie Theaters had balconies that would open for a Saturday matinee, and each theater in town had 1 screen and 1 movie showing. I'm not too sure of the price, but it wasn't equal to the mortgage payment like it is today. Drive-in Movies, and sneaking the kids into them via the trunk. 3 TV stations. To be honest, that part we do better today. Stealing your first kiss at age 16 and not 12. Obedience. If you were born after 1985, you have no chance of understanding that word.

So much more, all of it drifting farther and farther away.

Sigh.





10 comments:

leelee said...

this must be a day of waxing nostalgia..I just posted about my baby daughter driving off in the family car...how did that time come already...

I remember penny candy..wax lips, dots on paper (my parents would not allow my sister and I to have pierced ears so we stuck the dots on our lobes...pierced ears were for gypsies. I was told...hmmmm what would they think today with virtually EVERYTHING pierced), swedish fish, root beer barrels, shoelaces, candy necklaces..

all that for .25...excellent

JL4 said...

Keep going...you're helping me out here

leelee said...

We spent a month each summer in Western NY state at Chautauqua (look it up) we rented a house there..we had no phone, no TV. We actaully played kick the can until it was dark. We spent rainy saturday's at teh library because they had albums you could listen to with headphone..I must have listened to Sweet Baby James 5000 times one summer.

As kids, we would leave the house at about 8am in the summer...come home at noon to fuel up and disappear again until 5 for dinner...mother never had to check on us..we were with the 25 other kids who lived on the surrounding blocks..everyone went in and out of the homes..cold drinks were provided and someone always had a sprinkler going at some point..the older kids watched out for the younger ones..and siblings always stood up for one another.

leelee said...

ya know JL4..as long as you keep remembering this stuff and share it with your kids..it won't really go away..yes it will dim and our kids will have their own remember whens...but sharing the stories keeps them alive for a while longer. I don't know about your kids, but my daughter gets a huge kick out of those old memories..she asks about them..and has even said...she wished she was alive back in the day...the olden days we called them..oh brother am I rambling tonight...well..YOU started it...lol

JL4 said...

Halloween was not dangerous. Lots of sports and stupid kid games...

We could play touch or tackle football with 4 people as easily as 20.

leelee said...

Our street in front of our house had scored lines in it making giant rectangles that divided it up. The pavement was light colored, not black top, it had lots of rocks in it and it was bumpy to skate on..I know they don't pave streets that way anymore..but it was awesome for Dodge ball, and making a "home" and "second base" for kick ball. Of course the huge trees on either side were first and third. We used a "playground ball" (much coveted)..and much better than the supermarket balls Mom would buy us. If you owned a playground ball, you were quite simply...DA BOMB!

Oh and my skates didn't have a key they were spring loaded and fit right on my keds! They had metal wheels and I freakin loved them!

JL4 said...

Pong was the incredible new video game you could find in the best bars.

A clammbake has bushells of actual clams.

When your mom or dad told you something, you did it...or you paid for your indescretion.

There was a time your dad and mom were your heroes...40 years down the road you found out that was still the case.

You knew what a hogie, a hero, and a sub were, and you liked all of them.

You trusted Walter Cronkite. Do you trust Dan Rather? Yeah...sure you do.

Movies were pretty good, and occasionally they morphed into the ocean when the nookie started. Now they have sex every 3rd scene, and not much else goes on.

Waxed lips deserve a 2nd mention

Jen said...

Gypsies, eh?

I remember my parents threatening to SELL ME to gypsies if I misbehaved. :)

leelee said...

Well Jen, they would have pierced your ears no doubt!

I will still wear waxed lips when I can find them...They still look really good on me...NOT!!

How about the little wax bottles filled with colored sugar water..YUM!!!!
Cigar gum...would make the biggest freakin bubbles in all the world..I had permanant dirt on my face from popped bubbles..

a dirty faced child with waxed lips..I looked like Scout from To Kill A MOckingbird..lolololol

Wisdom Weasel said...

"The smell of my glove": for a minute there, I thought you were copping to being a Spinal Tap fan.

I can get that, despite growing up in England. The smell of linseed oil fresh on the face of the cricket bat just shouts spring and childhood to me.