Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Unsung...and barely even spoken acapello

Call them the unsung heroes of World War II. They didn't see combat, but they did fly 60 million miles in 60,000 hours across the U.S. and the European Theater. There were 1,074 trained and certified pilots in this group, and they flew dozens of missions - although non-combat missions - during the 1940's.

"We were not treated the same as combat tested pilots at that time, but we proved given the same training they were receiving, we could fly anything they flew on any mission they flew, except our missions weren't over Germany or Japan; mainly France, England, and North Africa after Rommel was driven out" one of their best pilots says.

They tested new aircraft and tested combat planes after repairs were made. They delivered planes, towed targets for antiaircraft gunnery practice, flew searchlight-tracking missions and simulated bombings. Some taught flight students while they were still cadets in training.

"It wasn't hard for me. I just did it even though I missed the opportunity for genuine combat, I was part of a force that did so much for the war effort, it didn't matter after a while" says Peterson Young, 86. "People talked about me, but they had to talk about somebody. Non-combatants were - and still are - looked down upon"

This particular group of pilots were not recognized for their efforts until 1977 when honored by then-President Carter, but they inspired other generations to climb to higher heights. They were America's unsung heroes...but they will not be forgotten.

I know I won't allow anyone to forget....













the women pilots of the WASP Corps.

3 comments:

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Oh, God...sigh-
Thank you~
Really-
Thank you.

A great grandmother in our family tested planes during WWII. She always said, simply, "I was just doing my part."

<3

leelee said...

Cora - She may have even tested one of my Dad's planes. He flew in WWII

Thank you to her and all the fine women of the service, past, present and future.

And thanks to you JL4 for the reminder!

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Leelee- wouldn't that have been something? She was a good old gal from SD and MN, but I think she was in Chicago at the time she was testing engines :)
Thank you <3, and thanks to your dad (I loved the post you wrote about him ages ago).

And of course, kudos to JL4 :)