Thursday, April 12, 2007

Chance of success? Minimal at best

So the Duke lacrosse players were totally exonerated, and life goes on, right? Or does it? I couldn't get this one question out of my head yesterday, so perhaps you can assist me.

Can a reputation soured, be reestablished in a positive manner?

Let me list some names for you, and you tell me what your initial thoughts are. Remember, this is a reputation question - I'm not asking how you personally feel about anyone. Ready?

OJ Simpson
Robert Blake
Jim Baker
John Ramsay
Kobe Bryant
Patsy Ramsay
Don Imus
Phil Specter
Barry Bonds
Johnny Cochran
Monika Lewinsky
Jimmy Swaggart

There are more...many more...so I ask you again. Can a reputation be changed?

I don't think it can. Not really.

5 comments:

Serena said...

I think it's a shame that it took so long to exonerate those young men. It's been so clear almost from the beginning that no crime occurred.

Their reputations have been sullied and they've expended heaven only knows how much on legal fees. Someone should be held accountable. It certainly won't be the non-victim; she's judgment-proof. If nothing else, I absolutely think that Durham County should reimburse them for their legal bills.

As for regaining their good names, they do have one thing going for them that Simpson, Blake, et al., didn't have -- absolute innocence.

JL4 said...

true

Mayden' s Voyage said...

I hope that in a year or 2- their names and association with this case will be mostly forgotten. Those young men were not from Durham- and in their respective cities they've gotten lots of local support.
The accuser, Crystal Mangum, got a free ride from the Rainbow Push Coalition...her tuition was paid for, regardless of the outcome of the case.

JL4 said...

Well, isn't that just special, huh?

Meanwhile, the rest of us are paying customers

Mayden' s Voyage said...

My thoughts exactly~