Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Of yesterday and today...

106 years ago, a New England based newspaper editor wrote an article about a politician that everyone loved dearly. The editor's dilemma was the politician was not in reality as he seemed to the public, and the editor had proof of that. The newspaper threatened to fire him if he did not retract his publicly unpopular opinion. He wrote Mark Twain, and explained his particularly exigent predicament. Twain responded immediately:

My Dear Sir:

But you are proceeding upon the superstition that Moral Courage and a Hankering to Learn the Truth are ingredients in the human being's makeup. Your premises being wild and foolish, you naturally and properly get wild and foolish results. If you will now reform, and in future proceed upon the sane and unchallengeable hypothesis that those two ingredients are on vacation in our race, and have been from the start, you will be able to account for some things which seem to puzzle you now.

Sincerely yours,

S. L. CLEMENS.Riverdale-on-the-Hudson, Dec. 21, 1901.

I see, said the blind man. Yesterday I removed an unpopular post I had made. Last night I searched and came upon this quote, which made me realize that my opinion is my opinion, and I'm entitled to that. Others may have theirs, but I can have mine as well. The post I removed yesterday is back up today. If the wisdom of someone from 106 years ago makes sense to me now, then I would be remiss to shame his fine words with a cowardly deed. And so, IN SEARCH OF HEROES is back up. Slam it or not, I stand by my own feelings on the topic. You can hate what I wrote, but I have seen the error of my ways, and will not back down because some want me too.

1 comment:

leelee said...

BRAVO JL4...

I agree wholeheartedly...stand by your convictions and opinions...you own them, they are YOURS. Look it's not about right/wrong.

Wonderful quote from one of the true wise men of America..