Thursday, May 10, 2007

Letters from there... and BACK again

Still at Slayer, nothing sked for the next week, so I should be in place for at least a few days. All is well, ran into a few of my old students here, which is a good thing...getting to see my product in an environment which I prepared them for...finally some of that job satisfaction I so lacked back state-side. Their eyes get really big and spooked for a few weeks when they get here. No amount of talking to them back in Texas or wherever they were at last can compare to actually being on the ground. It's fun watching the cocky ones getting a dose of reality!

I think as of today its 74 days - or you could say 73 and a wake up. Guys are filtering out of here one by one, which is good cause when their time comes to leave it just makes mine so much more of a reality. No complaints other then the heat....damn..but heat causes sweat, which causes me to drink more water, which fills me up, which make me not hungry, which means my meals are smaller, which means I have lost 13 lbs....no complaints on the last part...at least my wife will be happy!

I have to run.

M

M,

Desert Shield and Storm...the Army screwed up big-time on the food. They shipped the T-rat's to each unit on huge pallets...the problem was, each pallet contained the exact same item, and each unit received 4 months worth of pallets up front. During "Shield", we were in nowhere Saudi Arabia of course, so we were stuck - just as everyone else was.

Our meal? Beef and Carrots. Every lunch...every dinner...for 4 months.

We were glad the war was about to kick in around or just after the New Year, because that meant we could: A) Get away from the beef and carrots or B) Get killed...which - believe it or not - was a STEP UP from eating one more bite of that shit. They always provided bread however, so we all hoarded the packets of peanut butter and jelly, and that was basically our diet. By the time the war started, my belt was pulled fully 3 1/2 to 4 inches across, as I had lost about 25 lbs.

The things we do for God and Country, huh? 73 and a wake-up, baby. Keep the faith.

B

3 comments:

Sean said...

it's fun to be in iraq and listen to soldiers bitch about kbr. how they make so much more money for doing the same job, how they don't have to wear all the heavy gear all over the place, blah-blah-blah. just a different form of class jealousy. you can tell the ones who've been through afghanistan or iraq WITHOUT kbr from the ones who haven't. i was in afghanistan during the transition from pure army cooks to kbr. night and day, using the same food....

JL4 said...

Uh huh...I hear ya

Scary Monster said...

The Gulf War Diet.
You may be on to something here.

Can't wait for me buddy to get back to hear all the stories first hand...

STOMP.