Tuesday, May 08, 2007

When enough is too much

In drafting this post, I have written it...erased it...changed the format...erased it again...added photos...then deleted them...and in the end I arrived at this. As you know, I communicate almost daily with a friend who is in Iraq right now. I keep my communications with him constant, even if he cannot respond due to mission requirements. I know what it's like to be in a combat zone, and I know the positive effects of mail...paper or e-mail.

I received an e-mail about 2 hours ago from another friend who told me about the death of a former soldier of mine in Iraq. It happened on December 6th, 2006...five months ago, but I didn't know about it until today. That makes 3 for me. Two who worked for me, and one who worked with me. I'm just a Military Intelligence guy. If I were an Infantry, Artillery, or Tanker guy, I suspect I'd know dozens. But MI guys aren't supposed to go down that often. For me to have personally worked with or supervised 3, plus another who is being discharged soon with permanent disability from a grenade attack...well...that's a high number.

When I was a little boy, I loved parades. I loved marching with the bands, saluting the flags when they went by, and playing my own plastic trumpet along with the music. We had such great parades where I grew up. To me, the biggest day of the year - bigger than Christmas - was the 4th of July and the parades. My parents, closing in on 80, still talk about me and those parades.

When I was a boy, I loved to climb rocks, crawl in the dirt, and play soldier. I did it for hours with my friends, and even longer all by myself. I learned to maneuver in the woods behind our home, and to navigate through all kinds of terrain. I was comfortable alone...comfortable out away from the rush of people.

I took these traits with me into my adulthood. After the fact, it only seems normal and natural that I would have pursued the life's choice I did. I was born a soldier quite by accident, and I now know I'll die one on the day I pass.

You never plan on an early exit. You know it's possible...in some circumstances it seems likely at times...but you still don't give in to the feelings, to the angst, and to the fear. You block it out, focus and what's ahead...on what is important to you...and you trudge on.

And so we shall today, as well.

Sigh. When I was a little boy...

5 comments:

leelee said...

~sigh~

I am so sorry to hear of the death of your friends. I don't know what to say about early exits because I have experienced a good number of them myself..not military...but still..early non the less.

It helps to focus on life..and what each person brings to this world and how they impacted your life..because they did, they all did.

As for your own demise? Death is part of life...I pray yours will be long and happy and mine too for that matter. I don't think about it..but I am not afraid of it either..just hope it doesn't come to soon.. ;-)

Ok now I can wax philosophical...
make each day count..this way you will go out knowing you gave it your all..and those you know and love you will recount how you've impacted their life.

peace

Mayden' s Voyage said...

With all you've been through- I can't help but refelct on earlier posts about the things you've overcome...
I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you-
and with the families of those who've died.

You are a good man, with a big heart...

Paperback Writer said...

I'm sorry.

That's all I can really say.

bigwhitehat said...

Thanks be to God all my Blue Stars are off the wall.

This sucks.

Just know this, I am grateful. I won't forget. My life and my freedom aint cheap. I'll do my best to live that life and use that freedom in a way the fallen will be proud of.

JL4 said...

Thank you to everyone..Leelee, Mayden, PBW, and the BWH