Wednesday, September 12, 2007

How yoooo dune?

When did the attitude of our country change for the worst? I mean, no one sent me a memo. It seems like one day I woke up, and everybody started taking an "all-for-one, one-for-me stance"

"Heyyyyy, ow yoo dune?" can easily be followed by "I'll be doing a lot better once I blow up the mall with this C4 I have strapped to my chest."

Not to worry. They wouldn't have a clue what you said, because they're not listening. You might as well just go ahead and bomb the mall. As long as they're not near it, they'll see it on T.V. and say something like, "Wow...that's terrible. Hey, do I smell cheeseburgers?"

"How ya feeling today?" is often times merely a segue so they can tell you how crappy they feel. You could tell them you contracted a rare form of viral aids...and that they were now infected as well, to no avail. They're thinking of what they're going to say to you and have no idea what you're saying to them.

I heard someone say something today, and I was struck by the simplicity of it all. He was a national sports talk radio guy, and he said the following: "The measure of a person is in how he or she treats those people who have nothing to offer them, not how they treat those who can better their image or standing."

Do you say "Hi" to your boss, but nothing to the poor schmuck who was in a 4:00 am cleaning your work space? When was the last time you stood in the rain and held a door for someone else before you entered? I'm the VP of my son's High School booster club. This year, we gave preferred parking stickers to anyone who bought a full booster membership. 1 membership....1 sticker. So what happened? I and the rest of the boosters received virtual hate mail from parents complaining about only having one sticker, but two or three cars. After politely responding to a couple of these, I got fed up and put all the whiners' addresses in one email, and sent the following:

When you signed up and paid for your booster membership, it clearly said '1 sticker per membership'. In reviewing the document, I failed to find anything in there that said 'price or amenities negotiable.' Thank you for supporting the student athletes with your monetary donation, but please - in the future - try and refrain from acting the same age as the kids you're helping out.

Hey!!!! I listened... I responded.... Kind of refreshing, isn't it?

5 comments:

leelee said...

I've been pondering this post..as I do all of your posts, and find your view a tad cynical. Now I am sure that your view is based upon you own personal experiences with some people. You have cited an example ie: booster members. I think it's sad really that there are people like that, that are only interested in what they can get from a relationship...even as a member of a club. And of course we all know peoplel ike that, we've all experienced the selfish and unkind.

What I find even more disheartening however..are the people who don't respond at all to a genuine query of concern. Folks who, when you ask how they are doing...don't take the time to even respond at all. Now perhaps they don't believe that you really do care..or that your concerns are genuine. I suppose that is their own cross to bear. But for me..I keep plugging away..asking and caring..and hoping that one day, they will realize, that some people are genuine..and not just self serving.

I hope you have the opportunity to experience those kinds of people in your everyday life..for me..they make it all worthwhile..and I appreciate them.

JL4 said...

Excellent response.

Cynical? Moi?

leelee said...

Thanks, I reply better after I ponder while walking a couple of miles..

Cynical you? just a bit.. ;-)

JL4 said...

For the record:

"The measure of a person is in how he or she treats those people who have nothing to offer them, not how they treat those who can better their image or standing."

...is not cynical. It's the spot-on truth.

leelee said...

agreed! again I reiterate...I only said a tad cynical!
;-)