Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A big "no", and a bigger "NO"
















Senator Hillary Clinton was caught "misremembering" (thank you Roger Clemens, for inventing that word) her 1996 trip to Bosnia. The Senator's spokesperson said today, what the Senator meant was there were snipers in the hills surrounding the airfield when she arrived. What she said was, "I came unde sniper fire upon my arrival." Ummmm....okay, okay. I'm not even going to state the friggin' obviousness of this bullshit. Damage control in this situation is useless. She said it...she shouldn't have said it, and she screwed up. Next case, please.

Let's just call this: Big no-no number 1.


She was captain of her high school cheerleading squad, a nearly straight-A student and a soon-to-be pre-med freshman at the University of Florida.

But now, 18-year-old Stephanie Kuleba (pictured above) is dead, and her friends, relatives and family attorney are pointing to breast surgery augmentation surgery as the reason.

No official cause of death has yet been released, but family lawyer Roberto D. Stanziale told FOXNews.com that doctors believe Kuleba died of a rare and potentially deadly genetic reaction to general anesthesia known as malignant hyperthermia, which sends the body into shock.

This we will call: Big no-no number 2.

The responsible parties in this one are varied. Perhaps an improper medical history was done by the attending nurse. Perhaps the doctor was inexperienced in the ways of emergency medical procedures, being a plastic surgeon, and not a healer in the normal sense of things.

But there are far more frightening things going on here. As the father of three and a grandfather of one, I was against the wishes of my daughters mom, who wanted her ears to be pierced at 18 months old. I finally acquiesced when she reached age 10, feeling there was no harm in a single piercing in each ear at that age. With that said, whattaya think the odds are that I would agree to teenage breast augmentation?

Ya think?

To be honest with you, I personally believe that breast reconstruction and/or augmentation should be limited to women who've had full or partial mastectomies. Other than that specific medical reason, not only do I not approve, I'm not impressed with a 50 year old woman who has the high-riding breasts of a 20 year old. To me, it shows great insecurity and a shallowness that makes me run to the nearest exit when I come upon a situation like that. It's not that I'm passing judgement on anyone who has the surgery, I'm just saying that I wouldn't spend an ounce of energy attempting to court or even get to know a woman that insecure or devoid of substance.

But in this case? This is - was - a child for cripes sakes. The people who are supposed to know better, while properly guiding her through these last years of adolescence - failed her miserably. She lived in Boca Raton, a place of unimaginable opulence, which does not necessarily equate to intelligence. I know thousands of highly intelligent people who couldn't ever afford to live in Boca, and I know people who do live in Boca who who couldn't possibly spell the word commodities, even though that's how their husband was able to afford the home they currently live in.

I'm sadly reminded that Keanau Reeves said it best in the movie "Parenthood": "You have to have a license to drive and a licence to fish, but any asshole can be your parent."

Sadly, it seems that is more true nowadays than ever before.

No comments: