Friday, July 04, 2008

100 things

I've read this on several blogs, most recently http://www.karenskastle.blogspot.com/. 100 things, huh? Ok, I'll go for it. I guess the idea is to tell things no one else knows about me.


1. I have an aversion to snakes.
2. I have never used cocaine or LSD.
3. I've been to Syria.
4. I was very liberal in my early 20's (who wasn't?)
5. I was raised Catholic.
6. My favorite thing used to be getting lost in a great novel. The strokes did that in.
7. I've been married twice.
8. My daughter is from that 1st marriage, and I love her as much today as the day she was born.
9. I've been to Kuwait.
10. I've parachuted.
11. I have a flag that was flown over Baghdad in 2007.
12. I've been inside the Great Pyramid of Khufu in Giza Egypt.
13. The great pyramid is difficult to breathe in; especially in the tomb section at the bottom center.
14. There was a sharpie marking in the tomb that said: "John from Milwaukee was here, 12/6/1988". And some people still wonder where the phrase "Ugly American" comes from.
15. I played the crown prince in "The King and I".
16. I rescued an unknown soldier from getting robbed by a Bedouin at the Sphinx. Long story...some other time.
17. Wow. 100 things is a lot.
18. I've been to 6 European countries.
19. I was once stranded in a broken down vehicle in Germany in February, 1986.
20. The temperature reached -4 degrees.
21. I was there for 2 days before the ice storm relented and I received help.
22. I was frostbitten on 2 toes and 3 fingers.
23. When I was warming up, soldiers were talking about something I had no idea about. The Challenger apparently exploded.
24. I have trouble handling excessive heat, but cold makes the frostbitten fingers and toes very painful once again.
25. I'm only 25% done.
26. I can't seem to shave near the corners of my mouth without nicking myself.
27. I joined a frat in college, and survived "Hell Night".
28. Fraternities cost money, and I had none while in school.
29. They tossed me for failure to pay dues.
30. The only thing I hate more than the Yankees is....ummmm...ummmm...
31. I practiced sports so much in my youth, my mom used to say I was going to marry my 3-wood.
32. When I finish shaving and look into the mirror, I always have a chunk of shaving cream behind each ear lobe.
33. Nope. I don't know why, either.
34. I'm very stingy in handing out my friendship. If I talk to you regularly, you must have impressed me or touched me in some special way.
35. Thank you for that.
36. I used to care if anyone read this blog.
37. Used to.
38. I used to misspell the word equipment, e-q-u-i-p-E-m-e-n-t.
39. Being in the Army 21 years, you use the word "equipment" a lot.
40. And still I screwed it up.
41. Every time.
42. I don't have the slightest idea what HTML means.
43. Same thing with URL.
43. And MACRO.
44. I've been to 44 states.
45. I've lived in 5 of them.
46. I once had a run of blackjack in Vegas where I won 9 straight hands...letting the amount ride each time.
47. The original bet was $5. I walked away with $2960.00 in chips.
48. It was the last time I ever did something like that.
49. I know I'll never be that lucky again.
50. My biological age - because of the strokes - is higher than my actual age.
51. Jeeezzzz. Only half way.
52. I wear glasses.
53. Have since I was 14.
54. Can't wear contacts...something about the shape of my eyes.
55. I had my right wrist rebuilt in 1996.
56. Doctors speculated I hit too many golf balls over time.
57. I won a lot of golf tournaments in my life. Over 50 for sure.
58. Big tournaments. Great players.
59. My last win was in 1998 in a professional event.
60. I was still an amateur.
61. I stopped playing after my kids grew up and started playing sports themselves.
62. Their turn. Only fair.
63. My two boys are exceptionally talented soccer players.
64. I played soccer through high school, but I didn't like running all the time.
65. Eventually, I joined the Army.
66. Where they run.
67. Constantly.
68. I hated surprise inspections, and as a leader, never once held one.
69. The Army loves people to act like they are miserable all the time.
70. I acted happy all the time, mostly because I was.
71. But partly because I thought acting tough was stupid. Tough is a belief, not an expression on your face.
72. I'm not scared of much.
73. I'm scared for my kids and granddaughter. It's an Effed up world, and I worry for their safety.
74. I have never eaten spinach.
75. Steamed Clams - a staple of New England summer bar-b-que's - are gross.
75. I pick at fruit cocktail for the things I want.
76. And leave the rest.
77. My mom used to give us kids the "You know people in other countries are starving" speech.
78. My internal voice used to say, "Then send them my spinach, cuz I'm not eating it."
79. Same for the boiled chicken.
80. Fried chicken is awesome.
81. Baked chicken is awesome.
82. My mom was the last person I ever heard use the word, "Goulash".
83. If beer added brain cells, I would have been a genius in my 20's.
84. I cry often.
85. Privately.
86. Not in a schitzo way. In a tender, healthy way.
87. I believe in the power of tears.
88. More so than even - laughter.
89. My youngest son idolizes me.
90. This is a burden of representation at the highest level.
91. I simultaneously like it, and I'm afraid of it.
92. My oldest son would never admit to liking me.
93. But he does.
94. I'm finally getting there.
95. 5 to go.
96. I totally endorse you crying too.
97. Try it.
98. Every day.
99. I don't say "I love you" often enough.
100. But I do. I love. A lot.

3 comments:

leelee said...

:-) I enjoyed that!

one thing though...this is Karens Blog addy:

http://karenskastle.blogspot.com/

Law Girl said...

I don't know if you were trying to be funny...but you made me laugh.

After about number 25.

I don't think "I'm half way through" counts as one of the 100 things...technically.

I'm just sayin.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

You made me laugh, and cry- all with one post...
not too many people make me do that.

HTML= Hyper text markup language

URL= Uniform Resource Locater

(to be honest, I had to ask my IT guy to be sure about those abbreviations- lol- "hubs")

Thanks for being in Bagdad and Syria- I know it wasn't a toursim gig you were on~
Happy 4th :)