Saturday, July 12, 2008

Part IV.

This is part IV of a posted series that began 3 posts ago.

Jamaal is dead.

He showed up in class one day at age 15, now 40 lbs heavier, facial hair, menacingly mean expression seemingly cemented onto his face. No one knows exactly what happened. Facts are hard to come by in a community distrustful of all authority, while simultaneously bound by an unwritten code that talking to "The Man" can get you as dead as Jamaal is. Did it have something to do with being on a street where he was not welcome, or perhaps he failed to come through with his end of a deal? Who knows? Maybe he became so big the lure of wanting his action was too hard to resist. In any event, it was dark, as was the car that sped by. In a moment of time too small to calculate, six or seven inexplicably loud bangs and six or seven muzzle flashes later, Jamaal lay at the foot of his turf. The street corner of 3rd and Pine was his kingdom as well as his final resting place.

Shaniqua hasn't been to school in months. Pregnant with her second child in less than two years, Shaniqua has no need for school any more. She's receiving enough aid to get her by for now, and soon her children will be of school age, where she can then have them evaluated to see if they too can be declared EMH or whatever. The circle has now closed for Shaniqua. She has begat what she beheld. In some strange way, so has Jamaal.

As Gay strolls down the street heading for school that morning, she thinks of Jamaal. She saw that his funeral was to be this morning, but she wouldn't go. She couldn't go. School and the students she mentors are a built in excuse to miss the funeral, but the truth is Gay just can't do it any more. She can't go there and watch the carefully choreographed dramatization by the mother crying out loudly about her "baby" being dead, while she falls arms spread over the casket. She couldn't listen to the friends who wanted to blame all the ills on the evils of racism and anything else they could come up with. Gay is a fine woman, Christian in intent and action at all times. And she just couldn't. Not now. Not ever again.

As she entered the school she whispered a small prayer offering to God in Jamaal's name, then walked up to a student and asked him to empty his pockets of whatever was bulging from them.

Another long day had begun.

In a few hours of talking to Gay, I learned of these things that are happening right now...today...as we speak. I wish Gay and all like Gay the power of faith, conviction, and strength as they pursue their search for the one...just the one...who will listen to and absorb the message.

The end.

5 comments:

leelee said...

What a poignant and well written account of what could be called "wasted" lives in our society. I for one was touched as I always am when I read these modern day horror stories. I thank you for sharing it with us, because I do think it’s important for us all to read first hand, what life is for some people in our great land. What a horror their life must be… how sad is it that people take the time to learn how to rook the system instead of using that energy to work hard at making a better life for themselves. Perhaps using “aid” in conjunction with real effort to get out of the cycle of poverty and ignorance.
I can sit here and be horrified and even pissed off that people do that…however the real question I ask myself is…Do I sit by and idly watch? Do I turn the station so I don't have to see the tragedy? Do I "tsk tsk" and simply shake my head?

Perhaps what I need to do is ask myself a simple question...what can I do to assist in remedying the situation. It certainly doesn’t seem enough to just be saddened, horrified or angry. What can I do that will be tangible in some way to affect real change.

I think we could all be asking ourselves these questions…and then doing what we can to make a difference. Whether it is donating to a charity like One.org., voting with our conscience for people who really care about the issues of poverty and education in America, or working with a local Boys and Girls club, perhaps touching a life and inspiring a child.

It’s not enough to just be horrified and saddened…and there is certainly enough blame to go around, unfortunately none of that works toward change…none of that makes a difference. Gay will certainly be in my prayers as will the poor souls like Jamaal & Shaniqua and their Mothers, Uncles, cousins and neighbors.

But I must ask myself…what can I do to make difference in their lives today?

JL4 said...

Well said. Well said, indeed.

Karen said...

Speechless. My suburban life is so serene and comfortable. The naive part of me would like to believe it's fiction, but the intellectual part of me knows it's not. This feels a planet away from me, and I feel helpless to effect change. So I'll think and consider...and then, I'll do something, anything, to help those who have less than I have been blessed with. And I'll work to bridge a gap that is ever-widening.

Law Girl said...

Thank God for Gay. For all the Gay's. If this were a unique story, limited to one area of the country, it would be all over the news. It is not newsworthy because it is everywhere. In large metropolitan areas, on the coasts, in the midwest, in the "heartland". The story lives in children from Africa, Asia, Mexico, and Indian dissent. Is it a race issue? Not on purpose, simply in reality.

It is not newsworthy because it is too real, too much, too existant. There is no solution, only minor detours.

Thank God for Gay.

JL4 said...

And thank all of you for reading and understanding.

JL4