Friday, July 11, 2008

The Lesson

Today I spent two and a half hours speaking with an educator in the inner-city school system where I live. This is a woman who works in the urban sector, decidedly different from the sub-urban section that I live in and have sent my kids to school.

Urban. Less than 18 miles as the crow flies from my home in a town called "Gatedcommunitad", but 300 interplanetary light years from "Urbancrimeville".

"She" works in a "special" school for kids of all ages and grade levels. In this school, they do not differentiate between gender, age, or skill-level. All the kids are thrown in together. This is the story of two ficticious children named Jamaal and Shaniqua, and a woman named "Gay". Gay is the "she," and is definitely NOT ficticious.

What I will tell you tomorrow, July 12th, will chill you; embarrass you; and enrage you. It's a very important story though, so come on back on Saturday.

Sleep well...

JL4

1 comment:

Karen said...

It's Saturday. I'm here...waiting with baited breath!