Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Money? Who needs money?

In a recent article, the listing of the top ten cities in the United States with the least and most amount of debt was released. Try to tell me the one concurrent theme that is the State in which these cities listed is all about. It's not a 100% science, nor is it 100% black and white, and you can use that as a clue.

C'mon...work with me here. What is the connection that the cities in or not in economic trouble have with each other.

In Deep Debt:

Phoenix AZ, Modesto CA, Denver CO, Riverside CA, Jacksonville FL, Detroit MI, Sacramento CA, Atlanta GA, Aurora CO, San Francisco CA.

In Great Financial Shape:

Wichita KS, Yonkers NY, Bangor ME, Charleston WV, Lincoln NE, Fargo ND, Honolulu HI, Madison WI, Sioux Falls SD, Billings MT.

One more clue: Denver on one list, and Yonkers and Bangor on the other, are the exceptions to the commonality. This has nothing to do with personal wealth - or the lack thereof - because as you can see 4 of the top 10 economic implosions are California cities, and California is ranked 13th in wealth in the US, while West Virginia is listed 50th...last...the loser in the money race. And yet, Charleston is one of the top 10 financially healthy cities in the nation.

So tell me, oh wise ones out there. What is the shared issue that makes one successful, while others fail? Like I said, it's not an exact science. Just an observation.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I give up. I DO KNOW that I have enough cash in my checking account to buy a house outright in Wichita, KS.

JL4 said...

Yes, you do. I'm afraid I'm not in the mood for game playing suddenly.

I'm sorry.

Karen said...

I'm an eternal optimist, or maybe I just have hope because the alternative is unbearable.

My husband's favorite quote:

It'll be okay.