Friday, May 02, 2008

I like this guy

Bill Bradley is a talented man. An All-American basketball player as Princeton, he was drafted in the first round of the NBA draft, an amazing accomplishment for an intellectual from Princeton. He ended up in both the college and professional Halls of Fame.

It was once rumored that out of boredom, he decided to memorize the entire NYC phone book.
He went on to become a prominent Senator from New Jersey, and even put his hat into the ring once for election to the presidency.

But he's not what this is about.

In the spring of 2004, there was a fundraising dinner for Senator John Kerry. Over 5000 people at a minimum of $5000 a plate were assembled for dinner in this enormous ballroom in New York.

Senator Bradley asked a waiter for an extra stick of butter. The waiter politely told him, "No sir. One butter per person sir; I have strict orders."

The Emcee of the affair overheard the conversation, and abruptly called the waiter off to the side. "Do you know who that is?" he asked the waiter. "That's Senator Bill Bradley, college and professional hall of fame player and former candidate for president of the United States. I can't believe you don't know who he is."

The waiter calmly replied, "And do you know who I am?"

The emcee stated that he did not.

"I'm the guy in control of the butter."

Our nation has developed into a collective of emcee's. We all want to both name-drop as well as find excuses for everything. We need more people who are "in control of the butter", and I don't mean only in a presidential or governmental sense, I mean you, me, and our neighbors too. The more we take responsibility for our own butter, the better off we'll all be.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I like him, too. I stay in control of my butter.