Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ted Kennedy

My mom is a life-long registered Massachusetts democrat, my dad a republican. It was probably 20 years ago that I asked her why...even after Chappaquiddick, the known alcoholism, and other things here and there, how could she and others in Massachusetts possibly keep voting this guy back into his Senate seat? Year after year after year.

Her answer was the most profoundly honest, simple, and understandable answer to the question that I had ever heard from any American citizen - before or since - with regard to any person holding political office in this country, as she said:

"I keep voting for him because when the people of Massachusetts ask him to do something for them, he does. Every time. Without question or doubt."

My mom had just defined what a politician was SUPPOSED to be, and the conversation needed no further discussion.

May God be with you in the coming weeks, Ted.

1 comment:

leelee said...

Boy does THIS explain a lot...

"My mom is a life-long registered Massachusetts democrat, my dad a republican. "

As did your Mom's reply to your query.

;-)

Nice post.